Travelling the Oyster

About

My photo
We’re Max and Tom. We met at University in 2009 and in 2014 we set off to backpack and see the world. We travelled around South and Central America, learned to scuba dive, lived and worked in Australia, hiked and travelled around New Zealand, travelled around South East Asia and then headed to Nepal, where we hiked to Everest Base Camp. We returned home over 2 years later, having ‘got travel out of our system while we were young’, rented a flat and got jobs like you’re supposed to, but, we were not done with adventure. In 2017 we set off to the USA to hike the 2,189 mile Appalachian Trail, from Georgia to Maine through 14 states. It took us 5 months and it was the hardest, most amazing thing we had ever done. Ever since then, we haven’t been able to get the Appalachian Trail out of our heads. We got married in June 2019, our business was successful and growing but our hearts were just never truly in it. So here we are, making big changes in order to try live the life that we think will give us most purpose, even if it goes against the grain.

Thursday, 16 July 2015

Healthy Happy ME | My First Reformer Pilates Fitness Class

Joseph Pilates quote about Pilates

So I tried Pilates with positivity and the above inspiration in mind but not just any Pilates, Reformer Pilates, where you use one of these fine contraptions...

Joseph Pilates demonstrates Reformer Pilates
(Not me by the way - Joseph Pilates himself!)
And this is how it went...
Quite well actually, to my own surprise, I had thought this would be a hilarious disaster story about how I fell off, my springs got mangled and I got all tied up in my straps - but unfortunately it went rather well and I most definitely recommend Reformer Pilates, and I will tell you why.

During my Personal Training session, free when you join South Pacific Health Clubs, my PT informed me of Reformer Pilates as a great way to strengthen up my core to help my lower back pain. So I signed up with enthusiasm for some time in the room of scary machines. 

When first arriving to the class with apprehension, trepidation and absolute fear in tow, I was met by the intimidating room full of what look like instaments of torture and having only one arm, doubts started crossing my mind about whether this was going to be physically possible, not to mention my lack of flexibility - but I was there and willing to at least give it ago.

A brief moment of optimism and the faint pitter-patter of hope crept into my mind so I grabbed onto it quick and picked a machine. Carefully scanning the room and assessing the generally accepted protocol, I sat down somewhere in the middle of my bed-like equipment and started chatting non-nonchalantly with my neighbour to get some sort of measure of ability and how stupid I was in fact going to look. Fear not! This was a beginners class and my friendly neighbour put my mind at ease, at only having attended the class a couple of times before herself.  

I hadn't ever come across Reformer Pilates before, so to explain it quite simply; it uses a bed-like mechanism with a sliding carriage, pulleys and springs, using resistance and horizontal motions to help you strengthen and tone the core, in a controlled way that enables you to use less than your body weight which is especially good for injury and recovery. 

During the class the instructor guided us through everything, telling us whether to take off a spring or add a spring (increasing or decreasing the resistance) and just like any other class he went through the movements with us explaining why it was good for us. The fiddly bits like removing springs, shortening or lengthening the straps and lifting or lowering the foot bar did slow me down a little at first but just like any class once you've been to one, you know what to expect at the others. 

I survived my first Reformer Pilates class and I really enjoyed it, and I've been back a few times since and I feel stronger already. I love that Pilates focuses very intently on core stabilisation and feels very controlled giving you the chance to concentrate on your form and breath..  

Despite looking like something used in the Medieval times to stretch you in two, the stretching it does do feels great, so I have set myself a goal, to test what Joseph Pilates stated...
Joseph Pilates quote on Reformer Pilates

I accept the challenge Jo, and I'll let you know how I feel in 7 classes! 


No comments:

Post a Comment