Travelling the Oyster

About

My photo
We’re Max and Tom. We met at University in 2009 and in 2014 we set off to backpack and see the world. We travelled around South and Central America, learned to scuba dive, lived and worked in Australia, hiked and travelled around New Zealand, travelled around South East Asia and then headed to Nepal, where we hiked to Everest Base Camp. We returned home over 2 years later, having ‘got travel out of our system while we were young’, rented a flat and got jobs like you’re supposed to, but, we were not done with adventure. In 2017 we set off to the USA to hike the 2,189 mile Appalachian Trail, from Georgia to Maine through 14 states. It took us 5 months and it was the hardest, most amazing thing we had ever done. Ever since then, we haven’t been able to get the Appalachian Trail out of our heads. We got married in June 2019, our business was successful and growing but our hearts were just never truly in it. So here we are, making big changes in order to try live the life that we think will give us most purpose, even if it goes against the grain.

Thursday, 16 July 2015

Healthy Happy ME | The Start Is The Hard Part

"The greatest wealth is health" - Virgil

As the great ancient poet so rightly said, health is worth everything to us mere humans.

I consider myself a fairly active and healthy person, but when forced to walk with a stick for a week, I soon faced facts that I better make a few lifestyle changes.


I am human after all, and as humans we tend to develop bad habits, especially when travelling, a time seriously lacking in any real-life routines or discipline, but when I developed a suspected pinched nerve in my back - offering up a depressing week of not being able to walk, lots of pain and feeling rather crappy, I started thinking that I needed to do something as to prevent this from happening ever again. (Also, since leaving home in April 2014 I have added a little bit of weight to my luggage and I'm not talking about my backpack).

Once I was back on my feet, but not being able to do much running, I started following a few Yoga classes online, Yoga With Adriene is my favourite by far, she really breaks things down, goes at a reasonable pace for a beginner and has different routines for different needs.

So once I started following Adriene that was it, the beginning of my new found attitude to health and well-being, my new love of yoga and my inspiration for not wanting to be 26 going on 86!* (No offence to all fit and healthy 86s, all the respect to you because I'm falling apart!)

If I am honest at this moment, I am finding it really hard not to sound like a completely cheesy hippy here with my new love of yoga and wanting to change my lifestyle but honestly it was a revelation, when at 26 your back can give up on you when carrying a mug over to the sink! Come on!!

I'm not talking about crazy dieting, I'm talking about strengthening my core to help my back, losing my travel weight through good nutritious food and exercise and generally being happy with my body, a tough ambition apparently nowadays. One mention of 'I'm getting healthy' and people automatically think you are going on a crash diet and have psychological issues. Uh no, I just want to be happy and live for bloody ages.

So, here is where I am going to start, with my newest blog segment, Healthy Happy ME, a diary/fitness journal whilst I make my way to mind & body happiness-land. It probably will be cheesy, and a little hippy-ish but hey, just trying to stay positive and happy guys!

***

It has been a little while since I started Yoga, I had a little break during our epic road trip down the Great Ocean Road to our new home, the quirky music-loving, slightly chillier, funky cousin of Sydney, Melbourne.

Now we are settled in a cute (meaning small) studio apartment and we have signed up to a free month at a gym just a 5 minute walk away, there are absolutely no excuses not to continue with my great happy, healthy plan. And my reason for wanting to blog about it, to one, use it as a sort of diary but also because I plan to post bits and bobs from my fitness journey along the way including classes I attend, recipes I try and other interesting factoids that might crop up, in the hope that I may motivate, inspire or help others in the same boat and if not, then bloody well motivate me to keep it up.

So here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment