The book that everyone calls short; and gosh it is short!
I would firstly like to get something out of the
way, the fact that I did watch the film adaptation of The Great Gatsby before I
read the book - I know this offends some people but sometimes these things
happen, so get over it.
The Great Gatsby, and pretty great it was,
certainly did win me over and it was only by reading it did I realise how
bloody annoying I had found the film.
Yes, I admit Baz Luhrmann did do a great job of
'Baz Luhrmann-ing' the story with a profound soundtrack, an abundance of beautiful chaos and dazzling parties and shiny things to entertain us, however throughout my
reading I continually found myself thinking back to the film and unfortunately, remembering how frustrating I had found the actors.
Luckily it's been a few years since I watched
the film, so whilst it was not fresh in the mind, I was able to feel
reintroduced to the characters; given a second chance to meet them and
hopefully this time just as F. Scott Fitzgerald would have wanted me to.
I found myself liking the character of Nick Carraway more than I had when watching the film. In the book I feel that Nick is more 'human' and true to life in his reactions to the events. Compared to other characters like Daisy and Gatsby who I grew to like before their characters changed and disappointment set it, Nick is more consistent in his emotions and actions, and despite the fast pace, to me he somehow remained in 'real time' from start to finish.
I now appreciate for the first time the nagging
feeling you get when reading - post-watching, a book that you perhaps would
have otherwise enjoyed a little more if you hadn't seen the blasted thing.
Fitzgerald's depiction of the Jazz Age truly does immerse you, as you enter an exciting music-filled world with rich Americans
'living the life'; pushing boundaries, exhausting their relationships whilst
their little worlds just keep spinning faster and faster, until all control is
lost and suddenly 'the life' isn't as glamorous, as friendly and it no longer
revolves around them.
I was fascinated by the rise and fall of
Gatsby's character, in the beginning he emanates power, intrigue and honour,
this 'Lord of the Manor', 'friend-to-all persona' he has created beautifully, yet
all is lost to love, reducing him to a simple, awkward man, blind by love and
devastated by his own imagination.
Then you have Daisy, who I never really liked
but most definitely lost all patience for by the end. The
confidence that she acquires from her status is unenviable; to me she seems feeble
and shallow and I find myself wondering why Gatsby is so drawn to her – his
loving her so devotedly in itself casts a shadow of doubt over his character for me, this seemingly kind
and intelligent man loves this vain, empty girl - why?
Why indeed, a question my boyfriend 'loves' to hear me ask during, well, most books and films. But I'm not going to go on and on because that'll spoil the story for those who haven't read it and if you haven't read it, it's far too short not to! What's not to love - it's fast-paced, engrossing and a fantastic but tragic love story.
Why indeed, a question my boyfriend 'loves' to hear me ask during, well, most books and films. But I'm not going to go on and on because that'll spoil the story for those who haven't read it and if you haven't read it, it's far too short not to! What's not to love - it's fast-paced, engrossing and a fantastic but tragic love story.
Lastly, something I will take away...when given the opportunity to read a book before watching the adaptation, I shall whole-heartedly read, read, read in an attempt to conserve the author's intended experience, which often sadly Hollywood manages to crush.
Happy reading!

No comments:
Post a Comment