In that dreamy, pre-travel excitement you make promises to yourself. You know it'll be hard to keep up with your current routine which has been formed in a gym and a yoga studio but you swear to keep going and stay strong!
"It's going to be good, I'm going to get up at 6am a few times a week and go for a run before it gets too hot...etc"
I have now learned that for me, this is unrealistic. But staying active and making time for fitness in between the travelling is a much more realistic aim.
Travelling and trying to maintain your fitness is a tough combo. Yes, you are constantly moving around, exploring new places and seeing new things, which keeps you active, not to mention carrying your life along with you to add a few weights into the mix. But, no I still wouldn't call that a workout.
Combining your tourist/traveller/exploration duties with the long bus journeys which almost always encompass late nights and early mornings, means your pretty much knackered most days. And of course this is when you find you have that ultimate motivation to hop, no, leap out of bed at 6am and go for that all important jog. No, unfortunately not how it works. Because sometimes even on those extra special days when you have a morning free, the perfect time to spring into action and do a workout...you just don't want to.
I need a gym!
But, it does get to a point, especially when you've been used to gym most days, that your body starts talking to you...pleading for a little stretch, some movement or strength building that isn't just climbing the steps of buses, churches, temples and hotels. So you must listen and find the motivation for your body, in order for it to climb those steps and do those long days of walking around new cities, otherwise you aren't going to do it anymore. You won't explore, exercise or eat well because you're tired. That annoying travel 'bug' called 'Tiredness' that cannot and will not be defeated.
Over the past year and a half Tom and I have jogged, done yoga, found outdoor gyms and it's all good when those things/opportunities are available. When there is a road safe enough to jog along, and a cheap and easy yoga class to attend nearby or there is a park or an outdoor gym but when there isn't is when you normally have that real need and motivation. Frustrating!
We've found that the easiest way to achieve a 'workout' is by just doing it where you are. In that small hotel room, on that hostel balcony or roof. Tom started his 'concrete workouts' as he calls them a little while ago. I wasn't too keen being as they consist of press ups, lifts, burpees etc and I don't enjoy those so much, but this time round I've started my own yoga routine, combined with some circuits exercises to get the blood pumping and this is perfect!
What's great about these workouts is that the only thing you actually need is the motivation to do it, and time helps too. They can be as intense or relaxed as you like depending on your state at the time. Sometimes just doing some yoga sun salutations to stretch a little is just what you need, and sometimes they actually help to get my head and body into a longer workout.
I will usually do about 20 minutes of yoga, build up the momentum and get the heart pumping and then do some core work I learnt in Pilates, not focused on abs as such, but real core, to build strength that my body needs for lifting my bags, sitting in uncomfortable chairs for long periods and walking around all day. Then I will do some leg work, squats, lunges, donkey kicks, and if I'm on the ground floor and I'm not going to fall through the roof of a hostel, then jump squats it is.
Then to complete my workout I might do a few more sun salutations, and lots of stretching. Pigeon pose for any yogis out there is great for opening the hips and last but not least, some back bends.
If you do have wifi where you are and you aren't confident with doing your own yoga thing, try Yoga With Adriene on YouTube. She is the one who inspired me to continue with yoga, I found that it really helped to strengthen my back when I couldn't do other workouts and she is great. Her channel has so many different workouts including Yoga for beginners as well as short, long, fast and slow videos.
Overall, I love these workouts because you can turn on the intensity when you want to, make it longer, shorter, more gentle when it suits you. Doing it also helps me to stay motivated in my healthy eating, especially here in Vietnam where they make the most delicious breads and pastries, love their rice and noodles and there's food available when and wherever you go!
The great thing though about Asia, is that there is almost always a fruit stall on every corner, they make amazing fresh fruit juices and smoothies, they're great at simple and delicious stir fry vegetable dishes (that aren't over cooked) so when you put your mind to it you really can stay healthy whilst travelling. You do need motivation mind you, and you will eat lots of bread, pastries and yummy noodles, but it's not impossible!
Over the past year and a half Tom and I have jogged, done yoga, found outdoor gyms and it's all good when those things/opportunities are available. When there is a road safe enough to jog along, and a cheap and easy yoga class to attend nearby or there is a park or an outdoor gym but when there isn't is when you normally have that real need and motivation. Frustrating!
We've found that the easiest way to achieve a 'workout' is by just doing it where you are. In that small hotel room, on that hostel balcony or roof. Tom started his 'concrete workouts' as he calls them a little while ago. I wasn't too keen being as they consist of press ups, lifts, burpees etc and I don't enjoy those so much, but this time round I've started my own yoga routine, combined with some circuits exercises to get the blood pumping and this is perfect!
What's great about these workouts is that the only thing you actually need is the motivation to do it, and time helps too. They can be as intense or relaxed as you like depending on your state at the time. Sometimes just doing some yoga sun salutations to stretch a little is just what you need, and sometimes they actually help to get my head and body into a longer workout.
The Workout
I will usually do about 20 minutes of yoga, build up the momentum and get the heart pumping and then do some core work I learnt in Pilates, not focused on abs as such, but real core, to build strength that my body needs for lifting my bags, sitting in uncomfortable chairs for long periods and walking around all day. Then I will do some leg work, squats, lunges, donkey kicks, and if I'm on the ground floor and I'm not going to fall through the roof of a hostel, then jump squats it is.
Then to complete my workout I might do a few more sun salutations, and lots of stretching. Pigeon pose for any yogis out there is great for opening the hips and last but not least, some back bends.
Yoga
If you do have wifi where you are and you aren't confident with doing your own yoga thing, try Yoga With Adriene on YouTube. She is the one who inspired me to continue with yoga, I found that it really helped to strengthen my back when I couldn't do other workouts and she is great. Her channel has so many different workouts including Yoga for beginners as well as short, long, fast and slow videos.
Overall, I love these workouts because you can turn on the intensity when you want to, make it longer, shorter, more gentle when it suits you. Doing it also helps me to stay motivated in my healthy eating, especially here in Vietnam where they make the most delicious breads and pastries, love their rice and noodles and there's food available when and wherever you go!
The great thing though about Asia, is that there is almost always a fruit stall on every corner, they make amazing fresh fruit juices and smoothies, they're great at simple and delicious stir fry vegetable dishes (that aren't over cooked) so when you put your mind to it you really can stay healthy whilst travelling. You do need motivation mind you, and you will eat lots of bread, pastries and yummy noodles, but it's not impossible!


I love their steamed rice soooo much.
ReplyDelete