Travelling the Oyster

About

My photo
We’re Max and Tom. We met at University in 2009 and in 2014 we set off to backpack and see the world. We travelled around South and Central America, learned to scuba dive, lived and worked in Australia, hiked and travelled around New Zealand, travelled around South East Asia and then headed to Nepal, where we hiked to Everest Base Camp. We returned home over 2 years later, having ‘got travel out of our system while we were young’, rented a flat and got jobs like you’re supposed to, but, we were not done with adventure. In 2017 we set off to the USA to hike the 2,189 mile Appalachian Trail, from Georgia to Maine through 14 states. It took us 5 months and it was the hardest, most amazing thing we had ever done. Ever since then, we haven’t been able to get the Appalachian Trail out of our heads. We got married in June 2019, our business was successful and growing but our hearts were just never truly in it. So here we are, making big changes in order to try live the life that we think will give us most purpose, even if it goes against the grain.

Monday, 27 October 2014

Cafe Corner | Hola Mexico!

Today Café Corner comes to you from the charming little town of Tulum, Mexico, and the coffee provider in question? The Babel café and bakery. Yes. It has bakery in the title so it must be good right?



Delicious muffins at Babel Cafe, Tulum

Yes. No doubt here. Babel is the cafe to be. We did frequent another bakery nearby, and after a horrible coffee, a stale cinnamon roll and a sour faced baker ,we returned to Babel with our tails between our legs begging for forgiveness because, out of all the visits and that’s approximately 3 or 4 by now,  Babel have never done us wrong.

From the friendly staff to their amazing coffee, iced or hot, cakes and bagels…they cant seem to do wrong, and the prices seem bloody fair too.

Both my boyfriend and I enjoyed their Frappacino’s, their black coffee, a cappacino and a iced chai tea, and never have we been disappointed with our choices…only spurred on to return and try something else.

I endeavor to try their cinnamon rolls, the smell of them throughout the café is divine however on the first visit I lost out to the customer before me, whipping the last roll out from those shiny wonderful cake cases, but alas, we devoured a chocolate brownie and a slice of banana loaf between us and they were grand! They even warmed them up for us…a small but perfect touch!

They too offer breakfasts at Babel, which we are yet to try, but if their warmed ham, cheese, lettuce and tomato bagel, (only $45 Mexican Pesos) is something to go by, we won’t be disappointed!
So it is with great enthusiasm that I proclaim Babel as the best café in Tulum! As #58 out of 206 Restaurants in Tulum on Tripadvisor, although I would put them higher their reviews will back me up.

I know I have not tried all of the coffee and cakes in town but after such success at Babel and one ghastly disappointment away why would I go anywhere else?! Yes you could argue that change is good, routine is boring etc…etc…but when you are travelling and great coffee is hard to come by, never mind a selection of cakes that are to die for, I would argue that you stick with your favourite, frequent as much as possible and you enjoy every sip!

"So here's to cafe days!"





1 comment:

  1. Awesome, Mexico is high on my bucket list. Now I know I have regular haunt for Frapps if I ever visit Tulum. And Bagels. And yes, I'm definitely a creature of habit too!

    ReplyDelete