Travelling the Oyster

About

My photo
We’re Max and Tom. We met at University in 2009 and in 2014 we set off to backpack and see the world. We travelled around South and Central America, learned to scuba dive, lived and worked in Australia, hiked and travelled around New Zealand, travelled around South East Asia and then headed to Nepal, where we hiked to Everest Base Camp. We returned home over 2 years later, having ‘got travel out of our system while we were young’, rented a flat and got jobs like you’re supposed to, but, we were not done with adventure. In 2017 we set off to the USA to hike the 2,189 mile Appalachian Trail, from Georgia to Maine through 14 states. It took us 5 months and it was the hardest, most amazing thing we had ever done. Ever since then, we haven’t been able to get the Appalachian Trail out of our heads. We got married in June 2019, our business was successful and growing but our hearts were just never truly in it. So here we are, making big changes in order to try live the life that we think will give us most purpose, even if it goes against the grain.

Sunday, 19 June 2016

A Taste Of Adventure For The Not-So-Intrepid Traveller - Part 2

Adventure? Some of us need to build up to it. But then...






My affectionate nickname given to me by Tom over the past 2 years has been the 'Reluctant Explorer' and I understand exactly why. Because truly, I am not naturally all that intrepid, I have had to build up my confidence, exercise my adventurous side and learn to push aside the worrier in me and to let go of the worry and not let the stress of the unknown ruin a moment.
I soon discovered that fear is okay, you just can't let it stop you from living your life. So when the chance to go travelling came up I was crazy-excited, nervous, happy and terrified all at the same time!

I was well and truly cosy in my Comfort Zone and in no rush to leave. But the day I nervously handed in my notice at work more than two years ago was a truly wonderful realisatiion that the adventure had just begun and that we were actually doing it - I said yes to something new, frightening and exciting and what a feeling that was. Giving up my job, as scary as that first seemed, showed me that I am totally replaceable (to my utter disappointment and relief) and that there will definitely be another job (or many) in my future.

I don't think travelling is The Adventure for everyone, so when I talk of adventure I don't just mean going to far off lands and living in the jungle. (But you just might end up there.) Because once you build up your confidence, learn when to listen and/or ignore the 'fearful' you, you realise that you can do anything you put your mind to, whatever Adventure means for you.

For me,  Adventure is doing things that you've never done, things that make you feel free, confident, happy and more You-ish. (I actually didn't realise this this until I was well and truly knees-deep in Adventureness, and there I was...the little Adventurer-Me, covered in Mud in the middle of the Amazon, far too close to creepy crawlies and not as worried as I would have predicted. What do you know?!)

Getting out there and past those massive barriers of The Comfort Zone sometimes, applying for that job you've always wanted but have never had the confidence to, having belief in yourself and what you have to offer, walking places you've never walked, jumping on a bus and visiting a town you've never been to. Or as simple as talking to a stranger in a cafe - because you don't know how that might affect your life or theirs. How exciting is that?!

Everyone can have Adventure, it comes in many shapes, sizes and timescales. You just have to say yes to it and to making the most of every day!

Leaving two years ago was the best thing I could have done, it showed me how much I was letting fear stop me from really living. And I still can't believe that little old me, who worries too much just spent 26 months travelling 19 countries, with a person I love more than anything.

And now? I'm still the same person, just a little more intrepid than before. I feel less afraid of what's to come, and more up for taking on the next Adventure, whatever that may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment