Travelling the Oyster

About

My photo
We’re Max and Tom. We met at University in 2009 and in 2014 we set off to backpack and see the world. We travelled around South and Central America, learned to scuba dive, lived and worked in Australia, hiked and travelled around New Zealand, travelled around South East Asia and then headed to Nepal, where we hiked to Everest Base Camp. We returned home over 2 years later, having ‘got travel out of our system while we were young’, rented a flat and got jobs like you’re supposed to, but, we were not done with adventure. In 2017 we set off to the USA to hike the 2,189 mile Appalachian Trail, from Georgia to Maine through 14 states. It took us 5 months and it was the hardest, most amazing thing we had ever done. Ever since then, we haven’t been able to get the Appalachian Trail out of our heads. We got married in June 2019, our business was successful and growing but our hearts were just never truly in it. So here we are, making big changes in order to try live the life that we think will give us most purpose, even if it goes against the grain.

Friday, 12 December 2014

Sydney So Far & The All New 'Max's Travel Recipes'

After a little break... a few more miles of this Oyster have been covered, I've undergone a root canal and a trip to the Physiotherapist for a dodgy back and all within my first month in the awesome city of Sydney!

Oh Sydney I don't blame you for my root canal, just for the bill, and the back? Well, who saw that coming!

What a city Sydneyis. We have been here for a month now and the one thing we have done the most and have done very well, is eat! The food here is amazing, I love the Asian influence and I still can't believe how many diverse and incredible restaurants you can find on one street.

So coming soon is a blog for the foodie lovers, detailing what was going to be my top 5 places to eat in Sydney but now will probably be a list of everywhere because it is just too difficult to cut it down to just 5.

But meanwhile just a little recap of Sydney life so far...

Whilst living in the suburb of Naremburn we've visited some of Northern Sydney's beautiful beaches: Balmoral, Deewhy and Manly to name a few. My boyfriend is yet to surf, to my relief as we are now in shark infested waters. I did creep into the water at Balmoral, but it was a little chillier than the Caribbean seas I've been used to of late so I'm not dying to get back in again soon. It'll have to be another 40 degrees day for that, plus there's the shark issue.

We've had a couple of days and evenings out exploring this awesome city, just a 15-20 minute bus ride away, which is one of the things I love about our location is just how easy it is to get into the city centre and the fact that you actually want to go. Unlike a trip to London that means you need to put aside an entire day because you ain't moving anywhere fast and certainly are not going to get into the centre in 15 minutes!

Another thing to note is that it's December, I know you know but it's only 12 days till Christmas and it feels like August if I am perfectly honest. The songs all sing about snow, Santa and marvelous festivities but it's 20 odd degrees outside, i'm wearing a summer dress and factor 60 suncream so some strategically hanging ball balls and a Christmas themed QI show is not having the best luck convincing my brain that it is Christmas.

Anyway, the city is fantastic despite its crazy Christmas themed 'August'. I have come to think that Sydney might be the prettiest city I have ever been to; there is an abundance of greenery, water and great food (including a Lindt chocolate cafe - which I have only been to once to my dismay). If we have one problem we've faced regularly since our arrival, it's trying to decide which restaurant to dine in. I know, it's a hard life.

We have been extremely lucky and we are very grateful because we have been welcomed warmly by our hosts and even the street we are living on, which just last week we had its annual street Christmas party...it was raining but it was warm and there was plenty of food! (You may be starting to see the food related pattern by now). Everyone mingled, sharing their umbrellas, trying each others tasty treats and there was even a pizza oven on the road, now that is dedication to damn good food right there!

Talking of good food. Since being here I have triumphed in creating my tastiest potato wedges yet, which I am delighted about, so I thought I'd share. You might have had similar issues but before they were either under cooked or burnt but now somehow I've done it, and this is how...

Max's How To...

Cook wonderful wedges

  • Cut up your potatoes to normal chunky chip size.
  • Pre-boil/steam - they need to be soft-er but not soft enough that you would eat them that way. 
  • Pre-heat the oven to approximately 180 C.
  • Add the pieces into a bowl, pour olive oil, salt, pepper and paprika and mix.
  • Be sure that all wedges have been coated well.
  • Spread the wedges out well on a large oven tray, try to leave as much space in between them as possible. 
  • Pop the tray into the oven for approximately 15-20 minutes then check and continue cooking if needed or until they are brown, crispy and cooked through.

I thought I might add a few recipes from time to time, things that I learn whilst travelling, so I hope you enjoy them.

So to sum up, Sydney rocks, the food is amazing, I am loving cooking, the sunshine is very much appreciated and we are having a rather splendid time! Remember stay tuned for that 'where to eat in Sydney' blog coming soon. Meanwhile my boyfriend has just last week nailed himself a job which is fantastic news, and I am in the process of looking for one whilst getting my back fixed. I just hope that my walking age drops from 75 years back down to 25 years again someday soon. So fingers crossed that I might be walking fast-er by the next blog. (I know what you are going to say, slow down there Max!)





No comments:

Post a Comment