Some may say to truly travel is to wholly immerse yourself in the culture of the country or town you are in; visit the museums, admire the beautiful architecture , see all of the churches and take in that truly spectacular view upon the highest hill...but what about those times when you just can’t be arsed?
I believe that for long term travelling, as well as experiencing the culture, learning the language and meeting the people, you also need to live. Live in that city like you would live at home, and at home my boyfriend and I cannot deny ourselves a little trip out for a coffee and a slice of cake once and a while. But, when travelling this can be tough to find a decent cup, which is why I am going to share with you the best places we visit so you may, on your days of being boringly human, grab your book and pop out for a bloody decent coffee (and maybe a slice of something tasty too).
This Coffee Corner comes to you from the adorable little town of Antigua, in Guatemala, where we experienced that lul of tiredness and quite frankly enjoyed quite a few cups. The two cafes below are quite possibly runners up for the best coffee experienced in Central America so far...
Kaffee Fernandos (www.fernandoskaffee.com)
A cute café, run by Fernando, a man passionate about good coffee. This little gem is currently TripAdvisor’s #8 of 230 ‘Best Restaurants in Antigua’ and has some lovely feedback, another reason why we decided to check it out. TripAdvisor - Kaffee Fernandos
My boyfriend tried the Latte and I myself opted for a creamy cappuccino, which I was very happy with, not too milky and with a great rich taste without being bitter. So great choices, agreed by both and complimented blissfully by a home-baked (and warmed) cinnamon roll topped with butter icing. Delicious but I only wish we hadn’t shared one!
The atmosphere was nice, consistently busy, the only thing I was say is that perhaps a few comfy seating options would fit perfectly, for those seeking a place to sip coffee and read for a little while.
The Refuge Coffee Bar (www.refugecoffeeroasters.com)
This café felt more modern than Fernando’s, but a little cosier. After claiming a couple of comfy arm chairs we returned to the counter where we had the epic challenge of deciding which delicious coffee and cake combination to opt for. I picked the Refuge’s Special coffee, a latte with a dash of cinnamon and honey after a recommendation from the Barista, and a lovely slice of lemon and poppy seed cake. My boyfriend opted for a 16oz black coffee for full caffeine goodness and a lovely little piece of carrot cake.
Personally, I feel that the cakes lacked a little moisture but perhaps we were just a little late in the day. However, don’t let this put you off, the coffee was great, as was the cake and there with the low buzz of chatter throughout, a lovely atmosphere without if feeling over-crowded.

No comments:
Post a Comment