Travelling the Oyster

About

My photo
We’re Max and Tom. We met at University in 2009 and in 2014 we set off to backpack and see the world. We travelled around South and Central America, learned to scuba dive, lived and worked in Australia, hiked and travelled around New Zealand, travelled around South East Asia and then headed to Nepal, where we hiked to Everest Base Camp. We returned home over 2 years later, having ‘got travel out of our system while we were young’, rented a flat and got jobs like you’re supposed to, but, we were not done with adventure. In 2017 we set off to the USA to hike the 2,189 mile Appalachian Trail, from Georgia to Maine through 14 states. It took us 5 months and it was the hardest, most amazing thing we had ever done. Ever since then, we haven’t been able to get the Appalachian Trail out of our heads. We got married in June 2019, our business was successful and growing but our hearts were just never truly in it. So here we are, making big changes in order to try live the life that we think will give us most purpose, even if it goes against the grain.

Friday, 15 August 2014

Beginning At The Start Of The Middle.

I begin writing now, not at the start of my travelling when surely it would make most sense, but now, 3 months and 23 days into this fantastic adventure that once upon a time started in front of the infamous Belagio Casino fountains in Las Vegas...

Why now? Not because of any profound reason but, if I am truly honest, simply because I didn't want to. You may argue that this is a flimsy excuse, especially for someone who hopes on their return for a ´writin job´but I do strongly agree that writing for the sake of it is just as bad. Like an artist who has lost their muse, I too did not feel inspired until now.Writing was my job, or a large part of it so having quit to pursue some life experience and more stamps in the passport I took some time to escape from writing to allow creativity to be restored and the love of writing to return, and that it has!

I will fill in as much as possible from the travels so far, I will try to share top travelling tips, things I have learned and attempt to put into words what it is like visiting some of the most beautiful places on this planet.I write in the hope of sharing useful information for budding travellers as well for the chance to ponder over the very meaning or reason why we do it.

So I shall begin, from the bottom bunk of my rather hot dorm room in the La Guaca Hostel, Santa Marta, Colombia. Let us discuss the happenings of this weird, wonderful and beautiful world that I am lucky enough to explore as an apparent 'Oyster for the taking'.

Tayrona National Park, Santa Marta, Colombia

No comments:

Post a Comment